the capstone experience is designed to give students the opportunity to develop deep understanding of a topic in their field of concentration, drawing upon the skills and knowledge acquired from the sua liberal arts education.
- To further develop habits of independent inquiry and study.
- To acquire close, focused knowledge of a topic.
- To further develop and refine research, writing, and analytical skills congruent with the educational mission of Soka University of America.
- To enhance students’ ability to formulate and research a question or set of questions and from this to produce a coherent and substantial treatment of the chosen topic.
Selected Previous Capstone Topics
previous environmental studies capstone topics have included:
- Renewable Energy in California, Germany, and Japan
- Farmers Markets and Local Food Access in Orange County, California
- Water Audit of Soka University of America
- River Ecology and Ecological Restoration: A Case Study of the Los Angeles River
- Climate Change and Informal Urban Settlements: Building Resilience for the Urban Poor in Nairobi, Kenya
- Approaching the Nonhuman: Navigating Art, Abjection, and Ambiguity for a Post-Natural Ecology
体育彩票365appprevious humanities capstone topics have included:
- The Power of Uncanny Women: Analysis of Japanese Horror Film and Argentine Fantastic Literature
- Sigmund Freud’s Unconscious and the Collective Pursuit of Hysteria
- Montaigne and Me, Intimate but not Sexual
- What a Time to Be Alive: An Exploration of All Things Millennial: An Audio Podcast
- A Dialogue on Dance: Funding, Advocacy, and Participation
- White Rabbit Knows Everything - A Short Novella
体育彩票365appprevious international studies capstone topics have included:
- The Causes of the Thai Sex Industry and its Effects on Thai Women
- Violent Insurgent Group: Defining the Relationship between the State, the Insurgency, and the Population
- Multicultural Hawaii: Seeking Autonomy
- The Legacy of America’s Super Citizens: What Comic Book Superheroes Reveal about American National Identity
- An Evaluation of the Construction and Reproduction of Historical Narratives about the War of the Pacific in Peruvian Textbooks
- The Philosophy of Nonviolence in Guatemala: Withdrawing from La Violencia through Hip Hop
previous social and behavioral sciences capstone topics have included:
- The Commercialization of Hip Hop: When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong
- Semper Fidelis: The Construction of Gender in Military Wives
- Gender Equality in Vietnam: Promises and Reality
- Myanmar’s Ethnic Problem: History, Conditions, and Solutions
- Parental and Peer Contexts of Hookup Culture and Its Potential Influences on Sexual Behaviors and Marital Attitudes
- An Investigation Into the Meaning and Implementation of “Inclusive Education”